5 Tips to Make Your Surrogate Profile Stand Out
Your surrogate profile is one of the first and most important steps to matching with intended parents. Before scheduling any in-person meetings, intended parents will look at all the available surrogate profiles to choose who they think would be a good match. Your profile is your opportunity to share a little bit about yourself, your life, and why being a surrogate is important to you. We want to help you showcase your very best features and strengths, to give you the best chance of matching with the perfect family. Here are some tips to make your surrogate profile stand out.
1. Choose photos that show the real you at your best
It’s important for intended parents to get a good sense of who you are as a person. Including multiple clear, good-quality photos (10-12 is great!) will help to tell your story and put your best foot forward. Here are some dos and don’ts for choosing photos for your surrogate profile:
- DO upload at least two smiling headshots with no sunglasses, no hats, and no masks to obstruct your face.
- DO include 3/4 to full-body photos (don’t worry if there are other people in the photo, too)
- DO include several photos of you with your family; birthdays, holidays, vacations are all great choices.
- DON’T use filters – no matter how cute that Snap of you with the kitten ears is
- DON’T include pictures where your face is covered with sunglasses, hats, or masks.
- DON’T photoshop or edit the photos – we want to see your natural, beautiful self
2. Answer the questions carefully and thoughtfully
The written answers on your surrogate profile are the first chance for them to hear your voice and thoughts. Read the questions closely and think over your answers to make sure you’re answering honestly and thoroughly. Also, don’t forget to proofread! Paying attention to good grammar and spelling leads to a better profile.
3. Highlight your strengths
Be proud of your talents and achievements and be sure to include them in your surrogate profile. We want to learn about you! We want to get a full sense of who you are, including all your interests, hobbies, and personality traits. The more information you can provide, the better match we can make!
4. Show you’re a good communicator
We are here to make sure you are comfortable, informed, and supported during your surrogacy journey. You can help us accomplish that by responding in a timely manner to all communications, whether it’s emails, texts, or phone calls. Being available and responsive is a very important attribute for surrogates.
5. Include an intro video on your surrogate profile
Providing a brief introduction video is a great way for intended parents to get to know you! This video can be about 1-3 minutes long — you don’t have to tell your whole life story, but include some details about yourself, your life, and the things you love — and most importantly, be yourself!
Some appropriate topics for the video are:
- How would you describe your personality and character?
- What do you love to do? What are your interests and hobbies?
- What are your most interesting skills or talents?
- What interests you in being a surrogate?
- What do you currently do (student, profession, etc.)?
- What are your goals for the future, short- and long-term?
Your surrogate profile is the first and best way for intended parents to get to know you and to find the best match. Follow these tips to make sure your profile represents your very best self! And remember, we are always here to answer any questions and help you on your journey.